Saturday, August 21, 2010

Gluten-free white bread recipe?

Hi. I'm going wheat-free now and today, I started baking some stuff. I've been searching all over for some good gluten-free bread recipes that don't taste all gross and grainy and stuff. Any ideas? Oh, and one that doesn't have like a bajillion flours and gums (e.g. xanthan gum) because right now all I have is white rice flour and corn starch as flour substitutes. Thanks much!Gluten-free white bread recipe?
I have a gluten-free website that might be of interest to you. The recipes are quick and easy, requiring minimal ingredients. Here is a link for bread:





http://www.elanaspantry.com/2008/01/02/s鈥?/a>





Although you have rice flour on hand, I would recommend purchasing almond flour --I use it in just about all of my recipes, having found that rice flour and other alternative baking flours have a somewhat gritty texture.





I also like almond flour because it is high in protein and a fabulous source of vitamins and minerals, therefore making it worth the purchase. Hope this helps.Gluten-free white bread recipe?
You can not make RYE bread that is GLUTEN FREE! Gluten is in wheat,barley, rye, spelt, triticale, etc. Gluten free is very different than wheat free, by the way, so you may want to do more research! Hope you feel better soon! Report Abuse

The rye comment was to Livsgrandma, not you asker! Sorry I didn't make that clear! Report Abuse

To get anything that resembles bread as you know it that is gluten free I'm afraid you are going to have to acquire a bazillion flours and so forth. Better yet, just buy the stuff.





I can think of only two gluten free bread recipes off the top of my head and neither uses white rice flour or corn starch. One is for a rye bread that requires some bread baking skill. The other is traditional Southern Corn Bread - 100% cornmeal, which has no gluten. To make that put into a bowl -





2 cups white (or yellow if you must) cornmeal


3 teaspoons baking powder


1 teaspoon salt


2 tablespoons oil


2 eggs


1 cup milk





Stir rapidly to combine and pour into a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet that you have greased well and preheated in a 425F oven. Bake about 25 minutes until firm and golden brown. Serve in wedges.





You can reheat this by splitting the wedges, buttering the cut sides and grilling them. Nice with honey or jam, wouldn't serve chili without it. Not for sandwiches though.





Corn starch is gluten free. It is also food value of any sort free. Used for making gravy and pudding. White rice flour is about the same as cornstarch and useful for the same purposes. These are thickening agents.
you realize that bread as you know it no longer exists for you? gluten is the part of the bread that gives you protein. it gives dough elasticity, strength and allows it to rise. these breads have a dense crumbly texture. some flours are: sprlt, millet, brow rice, potoat. chickpea, quinoa, cornmeal, and buckwheat flours.





if you are still interested, i have recipets for: plain gluten-free bread, quick gluten-free bread, gluten-free cheese, bread, gluten-free fruit bread, gluten-free light oatmeal bread, and salt-free bread.





if still interested, please email me, i won't type them out here as they are each quite lengthy.





think about it.





chris
Honestly I hate to bake so I buy all my GF bread premade.


I use www.kinnikinnick.com the most.


BUt I have heard great things about Pamela's Bread mix (I love her pancake, cookie and cake mixs)


Also these cookbooks may help:


Bette Hagman's Gluten Free GOurmet (she also has others)


Wheat Free and Gluten Free Cooking for Kids and Busy Adults by COnnie Sarros
  • makeup help
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment